WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

0
22
Spread the love

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern.

In a statement issued on Saturday, the WHO said the outbreak does not yet meet the threshold for a pandemic emergency under the International Health Regulations.

The agency said the declaration followed consultations with authorities in DR Congo and Uganda over the escalating spread of the virus and the risk of cross-border transmission.

According to the WHO, as of Saturday, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 suspected deaths had been recorded in the Ituri province of DRC.

The organisation added that two confirmed cases, including one death, were reported in Kampala between May 15 and 16 among travellers arriving from DRC.

WHO also confirmed another case in Kinshasa involving a person returning from Ituri province.

The agency said unusual clusters of community deaths with symptoms consistent with Bundibugyo virus disease had been reported across several health zones in Ituri, while suspected infections had spread into North Kivu.

It added that at least four healthcare workers had died in circumstances suggestive of viral haemorrhagic fever, raising concerns over hospital-based transmission and weak infection prevention measures.

WHO said there were still uncertainties about the true number of infections and the geographical spread of the outbreak.

However, it noted that the high positivity rate among initial samples, increasing reports of suspected cases and deaths, and confirmed infections in Kampala and Kinshasa suggested the outbreak could be “much larger” than currently detected.

The organisation warned that insecurity, humanitarian challenges, population movement, urban transmission risks, and informal healthcare networks could worsen the spread of the disease.

WHO also noted that, unlike the Ebola Zaire strain, there are currently no approved vaccines or therapeutics specifically targeting the Bundibugyo virus.

The agency said the outbreak had already crossed borders, with confirmed international transmission into Uganda, adding that neighbouring countries sharing borders with DR Congo face heightened risks because of trade, travel, and population movement.

Tedros Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, is expected to convene an emergency committee to advise on temporary recommendations and response measures aimed at containing the outbreak.

The public health emergency of international concern designation is the highest alert level under WHO regulations and is used for extraordinary events that pose public health risks across borders and require coordinated international action.

Leave a reply