EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman

0
12
Spread the love

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested a former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, who was recently convicted and sentenced by the Federal High Court, Abuja, for financial misappropriation.

The EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, while adressing a press conference at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, confirmed that Mamman was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had last week sentenced Mamman to 75 years in prison in absentia.

He was convicted of 12 counts of money laundering and fraud amounting to N33.8 billion, connected to the diversion of funds from the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.

Olukoyede confirmed that the former minister was arrested in Kaduna State, along with two others who were protecting him.

The EFCC boss also stated that the house where the former minister was arrested is currently being investigated.

“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman,” he said.

Describing the arrest as a demonstration of the Federal Government’s commitment to fighting corruption, Olukoyede warned that anyone involved in the diversion of public resources would eventually face justice.

“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished.

“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” Olukoyede said.

He assured Nigerians that the EFCC would continue to investigate both public and private individuals accused of corruption.

“We are working. There is no area that we will not go into. We will not leave any area untouched just to ensure that we fulfil our mandate.

“We will uphold our mandate and ensure that everyone, whether private or public, will be investigated and brought to court,” the EFCC chairman said.

Olukoyede said the anti-graft agency had earlier filed charges against the former minister over the alleged conversion of more than N33 billion earmarked for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects. (Source: PUNCH)

Leave a reply