The Ondo State Police Command and the Olowo of Owo, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye, have denied the arrest of the attackers of St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, where no fewer than 40 people were killed and many injured.
According to a viral social media report, the suspected terrorists were arrested by a joint team of men of the Nigerian Army, Amotekun Corps and other security agencies as well as the local hunters, on Thursday.
The report said the suspects were taken to the palace of Olowo.
Theeditorial.ng gathered that when people heard about the news, they started besieging the palace to catch the glimpse of the suspects.
But the Olowo of Owo denied the report, saying no suspect was arrested and taken to the palace.
He had told the people that besieged the palace, in Owo dialect, that the attackers would soon be arrested.
Similarly, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, said the report was untrue, noting that nobody had been arrested in connection with the attack.
She said, “There is nothing like that. We have called the police divisions there, they said there was nothing like that. We have called the Kabiyesi, Olowo of Owo, he said he was not aware of any arrest. So, it is the handiwork of some social media but it is just rumour.”