No permanent terrorist base in south-west forests, school attack was isolated criminal act, says DHQ

DHQ
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says the recent attacks in Oyo state are isolated criminal incidents and do not indicate the presence of an established terrorist network in the region.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Michael Onoja, the DHQ director of defence media operations, said previous military clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park had significantly weakened criminal groups operating in the area.
The DHQ statement comes days after gunmen attacked Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and LA Primary School in Ogbomoso, all in the Oriire LGA of Oyo state.
Two people were killed during the attacks, while at least 45 schoolchildren, alongside a principal and several teachers, were reportedly abducted. One of the abducted teachers was later killed in captivity.
However, Onoja said intelligence assessments have shown that there is no permanent terrorist base within the forests or hinterlands of the south-west.
“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park, effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor,” the statement reads.
“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region.
“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the defence headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities.”
Onoja assured families of the abducted victims that the military remained committed to ensuring their safe and unconditional release.
According to him, troops are currently carrying out search-and-rescue operations across forested areas of the state in collaboration with other security agencies and local vigilante groups.
“The joint effort with all security agencies and local vigilantes will ensure that the forest is thoroughly cleared of criminal elements and that lasting peace is restored to the region,” he said.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria.”










