PDP faction grants Jonathan waiver for 2027 presidential election

0
21
Spread the love

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has been granted waiver to contest the 2027 presidential election on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The screening committee of the Kabiru Turaki-led faction of the party granted him waiver, on Tuesday.

Speaking at Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, former Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu, said the party decided to grant Jonathan a waiver based on his political record from deputy governor to president.

“As you know, the party has already given the presidential aspirant a waiver. Like I said, he was deputy governor, became governor, became vice president, and became president. We didn’t see anything that needed screening and, therefore, the party has given him a waiver.”

“In other words, he has been declared and cleared as a candidate of the PDP for the presidential election. And that is President Jonathan.

“The other waiver is also for the former deputy governor and ambassador, Taofeek Arapaja, who for many reasons has to be in Ibadan, Oyo State. We also declared he has been given a waiver by the party,” he said.

Umar Sani, a former presidential aide, had earlier disclosed that Jonathan had purchased presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 elections.

Sani, who served as Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to former Vice President Namadi Sambo, made the disclosure during an appearance on Trust TV, on Tuesday.

He also expressed confidence that the suit challenging Jonathan’s eligibility to contest the presidency again would fail in court, arguing that the issue had already been settled judicially.

“We are very confident that the matter will be thrown out because you cannot relitigate something that has already been decided upon,” Sani said.

According to him, only the Supreme Court could overturn earlier decisions on Jonathan’s eligibility, insisting that the pending matter before Justice Peter Lifu would likely be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction when it comes up on May 26.

Sani suggested that internal crises within the PDP may have contributed to the former president’s cautious approach.

He, however, maintained that Jonathan’s actions already indicated serious political interest.

“In politics, what is important is action. If you are interested, there are processes you have to follow, one of which is the procurement of nomination forms. He has done that,” he said.

The PDP chieftain dismissed claims that Jonathan’s supporters were merely exploiting his name for political relevance, insisting that many Nigerians remained emotionally attached to the former president because of memories of his administration.

“Most Nigerians know him and are nostalgic about Jonathan. At the time he left office, many people felt the PDP was not performing, but now Nigerians have seen the difference clearly,” he added.

Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president between 2010 and 2015 before losing reelection to former President Muhammadu Buhari.

Since leaving office, he has largely played diplomatic and mediation roles across Africa while avoiding direct involvement in partisan politics.

Leave a reply