NDC clears Obi as sole presidential aspirant

The national screening committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has cleared Peter Obi as the party’s sole presidential aspirant ahead of its forthcoming primaries.
Obi arrived at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja at about 6:45pm on Tuesday, accompanied by Victor Umeh, senator representing Anambra central.
The former governor of Anambra was thereafter screened the committee headed by Sam Egwu, former minister of education.
Speaking after the exercise, Egwu said the panel was satisfied with Obi’s performance, noting that he answered all questions correctly.
“This is to certify that following the screening of the presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), His Excellency Peter Obi, and being satisfied that he has complied with all the requirements of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all provisions of the Electoral Act, and the satisfactory answers given by him to all the questions from members of the national screening committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on a date to be announced by the party. Congratulations,” Egwu said.
He then presented an official clearance letter to Obi with the party’s official nomination form numbered 001.
Obi picked NDC presidential nomination and expression of interest forms on Sunday, May 17, the initial deadline set by the party for the collection of forms by all categories of aspirants.
On Monday, the party extended the deadline to May 24 to enable more aspirants pick forms, noting that the return of completed nomination forms for all screened and cleared aspirants would commence on Wednesday, May 20 and close on May 26.
However, the party did not extend the deadline for the collection of presidential nomination forms, noting that it had already closed.










